1/1 Photo of Savory Cheese & Herb Biscuits
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
The biscuits will rise to double the thickness, about 1 inch high. Split in middle and rub with butter and then place together. An absolutely great biscuit that can be served with soup or along with your main course. I developed this recipe about 25 years ago.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup cake-and-pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup chilled butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is preferred)
- 1/3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- 2Lightly grease an oven baking sheet with olive oil.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, add both flours, baking powder, Italian herb seasoning mix, salt, baking soda and pepper.
- 4Stir with a fork until well mixed.
- 5Cut in butter using a pastry blender or a fork until pastry resembles coarse crumbs.
- 6Stir in Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese.
- 7Gently fold in buttermilk until well blended.
- 8Gather dough into a ball.
- 9On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough 8 to 10 times.
- 10Dough will be slightly sticky.
- 11Roll out dough into a circle about 1/2 inch thick.
- 12Using a 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter, punch out dough.
- 13Place on greased cookie sheet about 1/2 inch apart.
- 14Gather up scraps of dough and re-roll and cut out remaining biscuits.
- 15Place on prepared baking sheet.
- 16Bake in preheated 425 F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 17Serve biscuits hot with butter.
- 18If you prefer bite-size biscuits, then use a 1 1/4 inch cutter or make your own using the top of a spray can, there are many varieties of sprays to choose from. Just cut part of the top off so that you can clean easier.
- 19When cutting, dip the cutter into flour each time.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Cheese & Herb Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 64.3
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 8.4 mg
- Sodium 108.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 1.7 g