Recipe by Mirj
One of our favorite noshes, you can stash the dough in the freezer and just pull out and bake when the cravings get strong enough.
Top Review by RSHDiva
These have the texture of Lorna Doon cookies, with a nice, cheesy flavor. Perfect to have on hand to go with drinks before dinner. People raved! I used hand-grated sharp cheddar, and a little jack cheese. Plan to experiment next time with pulverized gorgonola and a tinch more flour to offset the creaminess of that cheese.
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften the butter and cheddar cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and peppers.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the cheese with the butter until well mixed.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture and beat until well blended.
- Scrape the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour or until firm.
- Form the dough into three 1-inch-diameter rolls.
- Wrap each roll in plastic wrap (and then aluminum foil if freezing) and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months until shortly before serving.
- Place 3 oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- If the dough has been frozen, remove it from the freezer and let it rest for a few minutes or until it is easy to slice.
- Slice the dough into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place the slices about 1/2 inch apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- For even baking, rotate the cookie sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through the baking period.
- Use a small, angled metal spatula or pancake turner to transfer the cookies to wire racks.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.