Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve these savory cheese scones warm, buttered or with cream cheese on them! They also make lovely little tea sandwiches, split them in half and fill with thinly sliced smoked turkey or ham.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon colman's mustard powder (optional)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup mature farmhouse cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped chives (or green onions)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream, for brushing on the tops
- butter, for serving
- cream cheese, for serving
- thinly sliced smoked turkey (optional)
- thinly sliced smoked ham (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F Butter a heavy baking sheet or line it with parchment paper, and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar (and mustard powder, if using). Cut in the cream cheese until coarsely blended and crumbly.
- Fold in the cheddar cheese and the chives (or green onions), stirring gently just until evenly distributed.
- Add one cup of cream, combine until just blended.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured work surface. Pat and shape the dough into a smooth round 7 to 8-inch disk, about 3/4 to 1-inch thick.
- Dip a sharp knife in flour and carefully cut the disk into 8 neat wedges.
- Carefully place them 1-inch apart on a greased or parchment lined heavy baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush tops with a little cream (this will help brown them).
- Bake in preheated 425F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until outside is golden and the centers are fully baked.
- Remove to wire racks and cool slightly.
- Serve scones warm, with butter or cream cheese on them. They also make great little tea sandwiches; split them in half and fill with thinly sliced smoked turkey or ham.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge, or freeze them. Scones freeze beautifully!