Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This savory cheddar zucchini cornbread makes a nice side for soups and chilies.
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Well grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, and place it into the oven while it preheats. (can use a 9x9 Pyrex pan but cast iron works better).
- Place the zucchini, milk, onion, eggs, and melted butter into a blender, and blend until thoroughly mixed and the zucchini and onion have been chopped into very small pieces.
- Mix together the cornmeal, flour, dill, baking powder, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese in a large bowl. Pour the zucchini mixture into the cornmeal mixture, stirring to combine.
- Carefully pour the batter into the hot greased skillet, smooth it out with a spoon, and bake until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 - 40 minutes.
This would be good with soup. Interesting flavor combo.
We didn't care for this! The only way it was edible was if we put a little bit of honey. Tastes a lot like baking powder. I was wondering with 4 teaspoons of baking powder.
WOW, what a great recipe! I really enjoyed this veggie twist on cornbread! The onion and zucchini made for a very moist and flavourful bread and the onion and dill were the perfect seasonings. I added a touch of garlic and used a flax egg, but other than that thought everything was perfect. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this true winner with us. Ill definitely make it often again.
Made and reviewed for Everyday is A Holiday Tag Game August 2012.