Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- Mix together first seven ingredients; set aside.
- Mix together egg, milk, and butter; add to dry ingredients.
- Stir until just moistened.
- Pour batter into a greased 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Excellent bread. It was easy enough that I called my 10 yo son from work and barked out the instructions over the speaker phone while he mixed it up and put it into the oven. It was perfect and he was very proud of himself. He couldn't find the onion salt or the dry mustard, so he substituted one tsp of creole seasoning. He also said that he accidentally put in 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Despite these changes, it was delicious and he's planning on making it again with his adjusted recipe. Thanks NurseDi. We'll be making this often...at least he will.
Once it cooled down it seemed to have a strong baking powder aftertaste. Enjoyable texture and wonderfully cheesy. Next time I make it I'll try it swimming in chicken soup.
Another winner Di. Few adaptations: only had mild cheddar, used garlic salt for the onion salt, and didn't have the dry mustard. It was still fantastic! I am currently munching on a hot thick slice with butter. There are so many other combos that would be good here: mozzarella and italian seasoning, swiss and caraway, chopped jalapenos and cheddar. Will definately make this again. Thanks!