Recipe by Sharon123
Mario Batali’s deep-fried vegetable fritters with creamy dipping sauce are impossible to resist! Just saw this on the Chew and had to share. You could switch this out and use cauliflower or sweet potato, whatever you want.
For the Beignets
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 large head broccoli (grated on box grater)
- vegetable oil, to fry
For the Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream (or cream frache, or 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup cream cheese)
- 3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of (and Zest of )
- 2 tablespoons capers, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat 2 inches of Oil in a large Dutch oven to 360 degrees F.
- For the Beignets.
- Combine the Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt in a large bowl and whisk together. Add the Eggs and Milk, and mix until combined. Fold in the Broccoli.
- Scoop out the beignets and drop into the oil, frying until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel lined plates and season with salt immediately.
- For the Dipping Sauce.
- Whisk together ingredients until combined and adjust seasoning as needed.