I admit to being a granola bar failure. A lot of the homemade granola bar recipes I've tried are either rock hard or gummy uncooked-tasting disasters. This recipe is for a savory breakfast cookie that is really light and crispy. This is a variation of a recipe that was published by Quaker Oats. I've made several adjustments, but the basic recipe idea is theirs. The bacon and cheese can make this quite salty, so I usually only add a pinch of salt. The recipe appears to be quite forgiving, however, and I've made different variations on the same theme. I don't change the sugar amount because I've found that it really needs the sugar for purposes of improving the texture. NOTE: In lieu of the flours, you may substitute 3/4 c. white flour and 1/4 cup wheat germ, just make sure you get a cup of some sort of flour mixture. The prep time doesn't include time in the refrigerator.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cream together butter (don't substitute) and sugar.
- 3Add egg and vanilla, being careful not to overbeat.
- 4Combine flours, soda, and salt.
- 5Add combined dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
- 6Stir in oats.
- 7Carefully stir in shredded cheese and bacon crumbles.
- 8The dough will be stiffer than"normal" cookies, but not dry.
- 9Form by Tablespoonfuls into dough globs, lay them carefully in a container, separating layers with wax or parchment paper as needed.
- 10Refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 11These are best when allowed to sit overnight in the refrigerator and baked fresh in the morning.
- 12(Or they can be baked immediately.) When ready to bake, space 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
- 13Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes and remove to a rack to finish cooling.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Breakfast Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (751 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.1
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 211.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 2.7 g