1 hr 15 mins
Lightly Toasted's Note:
Adapted from a recipe in the Nov 09 issue of Better Homes and Gardens. This was delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 22 ounces loaf of day-old Italian bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, and toasted in oven
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ounces bacon, diced
- 2 large fennel bulbs, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 large granny smith apples, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage leaf
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1In large Dutch oven or heavy saucepot, heat oil on medium-high, until hot.
- 2Add bacon and cook until golden brown, and crisp. With slotted spoon, remove to paper towels, to drain.
- 3In same Dutch oven. add fennel, onion, and garlic. Cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are golden and tender, stirring frequently. Add apples and cranberries, and cook 4 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently.
- 4Add broth and heat to boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes.
- 5In a large bowl, combine bread and broth mixture. Stir in parsley, sare, rosemary, salt and pepper and bacon.
- 6In a shallow 3-quart glass baking dish, spread mixture.
- 7Cover with foil, and bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 8Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer or until top of stuffing is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Bread Stuffing/Dressing With Apples
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.1
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 6.6 mg
- Sodium 475.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves