Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This yummy pudding is like a baked custard. Challah or French bread may be substituted for the Vienna loaf. I use bottled, roasted peppers to save time. Recipe from Chicago Tribune Good Eating.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 leek, diced (white and green parts)
- 1⁄2 cup diced roasted red pepper
- 1⁄2 loaf vienna bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups whipping cream or 2 cups half-and-half
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and leeks until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Combine mushroom-leek mixture, roasted peppers, bread cubes and 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese; place in a greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Whisk together milk, cream, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Pour over bread cubes; sprinkle with remaining 2 T cheese.
- Bake until lightly browned and knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.