Recipe by KathyP53
This makes a great dish for brunch or holidays. I like to prepare for weekend guests.
Top Review by Elmotoo
This is heavy duty comfort food that will feed the masses! I didn't measure the veggies...just used 1 onion, 1 pepper, 1 small bunch scallions. The sour cream topping led a nice tang to this rich dish. I think hot Italian sausage would work as well. It's not very spicy even with the chorizo & cayenne so don't skimp on those ingredients. We loved it. Be careful though & eat slowly or you will suddenly be so overfull that you can't breathe. ;) Made for My3Chefs 6/12.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 3⁄4 lb chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chicken or 1⁄3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 8 cups French bread, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 8 large eggs, beaten well
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until well-browned. Add onions, bell peppers, and green onions and saute until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken broth and cook, stirring, for one minute. Remove skillet from heat.
- Place bread cubes in large mixing bowl. Add milk and half and half and stir. Allow to set until milk is completely absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion, peppers, and sausage mixture to bread. Fold in beaten eggs, cheeses, and seasonings. Spoon mixture into buttered 9 x 13" casserole. Can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight at this point. Remove from frig and allow to warm up on counter for 30 minutes before baking. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees. Spread sour cream over top of casserole and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for additional 15 minutes, or until browned on top.