1/3 Photos of Savory Braised Short Ribs
2 hrs 30 mins
This is hearty comfort food. Serve with mashed potatoes, a veggie and good bread for sopping up the sauce. YUM!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs beef short ribs with bones, and cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup onion, Coarsely Chopped
- 1 cup water
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, Crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- horseradish sauce (recipe follows)
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1Brown short ribs well on all sides (about 30 minutes) in Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add broth, onion, 1 c water, peppercorns, worchstershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf and marjoram.
- 3Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and cook slowly 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until tender, turning once.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare Horseradish Sauce.
- 5Place short ribs on serving platter and keep warm.
- 6Skim fat from cooking liquid.
- 7Combine flour with 1 /2 cup water, mixing until smooth; combine with cooking liquid, bring to a boil, stirring constantly, reduce heat and cook slowly 3 minutes.
- 8Strain, if necessary, and serve with short ribs.
- 9Garnish platter with tomato wedges and parsley.
- 10Serve Horseradish sauce with short ribs.
- 11HORSERADISH SAUCE.
- 121/4 Cup Dairy Sour Cream 1 T Prepared Mustard 2 1/2 T Prepared Horseradish 1/8 t Salt Combine sour cream, horseradish, mustard and salt in small bowl.
- 13Cover and refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Braised Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1229.8
- Calories from Fat 1005
- Total Fat 111.6 g
- Saturated Fat 48.7 g
- Cholesterol 234.8 mg
- Sodium 597.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 45.9 g