Recipe by cckelly2
This is a great, inexpensive and filling side dish. I love cabbage dishes in the winter. This is an adaptation of a recipe from my local paper. My only addition might be to add sliced potatos.
- 1 large green cabbage
- 4 slices pancetta (uncured bacon) or 4 slices regular bacon, but into pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- salt & pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 375°F
- Core cabbage and remove outer leaves and shred.
- Use a deep casserole or baking dish which can go on the stovetop and into the oven.
- Cook bacon over moderate heat, 5 min., until it is crispy. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the bacon drippings, cook about 1 minute to soften.
- Add cabbage, stir, then add chicken broth and wine. Toss to coat the cabbage.
- Add the bacon to the cabbage, season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaf.
- Cover and bake 90 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.