Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
From Schwans' box. This is good and simple. I know that the addition of the butter on the top of the dish seems like too much, but it really is necessary. If it's left out, the dish gets way too dry. It would be neat if someone would modify this recipe to their taste using different cheese and herbs. Let me know, OK?
Top Review by Ceezie
For as much fat as this recipe has in it, it should taste richer. The kids (3 and 1) both ate this with no problem. Dh and I thought it was just ok. I didn't top it with slivers of butter but sprayed it with spray butter. I also covered it with foil until the last 5 minutes.
- 2 lbs hake, loins
- 2 large onions, sliced very thin
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, sharp, grated
- 8 ounces butter, sliced thin
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Saute onion in oil or butter until just translucent. Add garlic, stir well and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Spray 13 x 9 glass pan with nonstick spray or butter/oil the pan.
- Mix dill, salt and pepper.
- Place loins in prepared pan. Sprinkle with dill mixture.
- Layer onion/garlic, then crumbs, then cheese on loins.
- Place butter slices evenly around top of cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes until fish flakes with fork.
- Finish with fresh lemon juice, if desired.