Recipe by Lvs2Cook
I tried this last night and it's a keeper! The recipe comes from the old BH&G magazine, Hometown Favorites. I made it as posted but I do not have an oven-safe Dutch oven so I transferred the meat to a baking dish after browning, poured the sauce over and baked. I made the gravy in a separate saucepan on the stove.
- 1 (3 lb) boneless bottom round roast
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup bloody mary mix or 3⁄4 cup spicy vegetable juice
- 1⁄4 cup vodka or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons vodka or 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from roast.
- Cut slits in several places.
- Insert a small slice of garlic into each slit.
- In a 4 quart Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in hot oil.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain off fat.
- Combine Bloody Mary mix, the 1/4 cup vodka, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, and the minced garlic; carefully pour over the roast.
- Bake covered, in a 325º oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until very tender.
- Transfer to a platter, reserving juices in Dutch oven.
- Keep roast warm.
- For gravy: measure cooking juices; skim off fat.
- If necessary, add enough water to measure 1 1/2 cups of juices.
- Return juices to Dutch Oven.
- Combine the 2 tbsps vodka and the cornstarch; stir into juices.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Slice meat thinly across the grain; serve with gravy.