This is heavenly! Its a great side dish or even a hearty lunch. This is from Betty Crocker.
Make and share this Savory Black-Eyed Peas With Bacon recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slice bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 591.47 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
- 2 medium celery ribs, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 22.18 ml chopped fresh savory (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried savory)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 118.29 ml shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- Cook bacon in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Drain fat from skillet.
- Heat broth, peas, celery, onion, savory and garlic to boiling in same skillet.
- Boil uncovered 2 minutes; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until peas are almost tender (do not boil or peas will burst).
- Stir in carrots and bell pepper.
- Heat to simmering. Cover and simmer about 13 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender; stir.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.