Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Beef stew, the old fashioned way. I highly recommend this recipe, the first time you try it, really try to follow the recipe exactly as written, it's really good, I promise!
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄8 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄2 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 small onions, cut into quarters
- 2 medium potatoes, pared and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 0.5 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Melt shortening in 2-quart saucepan; brown meat.
- Add 1-1/2 cups water, the bouillon cube, garlic, bay leaf, salt, allspice and lemon juice; heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat is almost tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Add onions, potatoes and carrots; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add peas, cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Shake 1/2 cup water and the flour in tightly covered jar until smooth.
- Stir into stew; heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.