Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family absolutely loves this stew. The secret ingredient is the turnips, they give it "zip".
- 1 lb lean sirloin steaks, cut in cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine (or other red)
- 1 red onion, cut into eighths lengthwise
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 2 small turnips, diced
- 1⁄2 lb small mushroom
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 red potatoes, cubed
- Heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Place flour in a zip lock baggie and put beef cubes in bag.
- Close and shake to cover all beef cubes with flour.
- Place floured cubes in an oven-proof pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cook in 500 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool on stovetop for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add broth & wine to pan and stir to loosen browned bits.
- Add onion celery, & bay leaf.
- Cook covered on medium low heat for about 1 hour until beef is tender.
- Add carrots,turnips, cleaned mushrooms and cubed potatoes.
- Cook 20 - 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add more broth if mixture becomes too dry.