Recipe by Bread 'n Butter
I believe this recipe was passed down from my Grandma. I think it's interesting how the tapioca is used to thicken the stew. I recently took it to a fundraiser for charity and it was the only stew/soup that was gone by the end of the day.
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 lb stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a large skillet.
- Brown the beef in the oil on all sides.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, tapioca, beef broth, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn into a 3 quart casserole and cover.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and celery.
- Bake covered for one hour until vegetable are tender.