Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I can't remember where we found this recipe but is it ever good!! Hubby and I love stews, so this is a frequent meal in our home. Make sure you have some fresh bread to go with this one!!!
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 lbs cubed stew meat
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup beer
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 can button mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, melt margarine.
- Cook beef in two batches until browned, stirring often.
- Remove beef from dutch oven and set aside.
- Stir in flour.
- Add broth, beer, water, onion, garlic, brown sugar, thyme and pepper.
- Heat to boil.
- Return beef to dish and add potatoes, carrots, celery and mushrooms, stir well to coat.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until done.
What a wonderful recipe!! I added a bit of salt to mine and some turnip. The sauce was thick and very tasty. Next time I might add some fresh green beans. Great dish!!
AMAZING BEEF STEW. tried this tonight and am in love. Added peas during last 15 min in oven. Would increase carrots, increase broth and beer by a cup each. Cooked liquid off fresh mushroom slices before adding them as directed. Don't use canned mushrooms. Guinness or any heavy beer works best.
I made this stew last year for a halloween party with 60 people, and they loved it! They want me to do it again this year. The best stew I think I've ever had. The beer just really makes it special. Thanks for posting the receipe.