Recipe by Irish Rose
Comfort food! This is my all time favorite stew recipe, it never fails to impress.
Top Review by Sharon in Ontario. Canada
Awesome! Had to substitue sherry & grape juice for the wine (had no wine on hand)but it turned out to be another keeper. Husband & son loved it. Will have to try it with the wine next time!
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 lbs round steaks, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 6 small potatoes, pared and halved
- 6 medium carrots, pared and cut in pieces
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In hot oil in Dutch oven, brown beef cubes well on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onions and celery to Dutch oven and saute until tender - about 8 minutes.
- Return beef to pan.
- Add garlic, tomato sauce, wine, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper,thyme, bay leaf and 2 cups water.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 1/4 hours.
- Add vegetables and simmer, covered for 1 hour longer or until tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix flour with 2 Tbls. of cold water and stir into beef mixture.
- Simmer, 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.