Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Comfort food! This is my all time favorite stew recipe, it never fails to impress.
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 lbs round steaks, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- 6 small potatoes, pared and halved
- 6 medium carrots, pared and cut in pieces
- 1 tablespoon flour
- In hot oil in Dutch oven, brown beef cubes well on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onions and celery to Dutch oven and saute until tender - about 8 minutes.
- Return beef to pan.
- Add garlic, tomato sauce, wine, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper,thyme, bay leaf and 2 cups water.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 1/4 hours.
- Add vegetables and simmer, covered for 1 hour longer or until tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix flour with 2 Tbls. of cold water and stir into beef mixture.
- Simmer, 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
Awesome! Had to substitue sherry & grape juice for the wine (had no wine on hand)but it turned out to be another keeper. Husband & son loved it. Will have to try it with the wine next time!