Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 25 mins
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs beef chuck or 3 lbs beef rump, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 small potatoes, pared and halved
- 6 medium carrots, pared
- 6 white onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 large tomatoes, cut into 6 wedges
- In hot oil in Dutch oven, brown beef cubes well on all sides.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onions, green peppers and celery to Dutch oven and saute until tender- about 8 minutes.
- Return beef to pan.
- Add parsley, garlic, tomato sauce, wine, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and 2 cups of water.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 1/4 hours.
- Add vegetables (except tomato) and simmer, covered, 1 hour longer or until tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim off fat.
- Mix flour with 2 tablespoons cold water and stir into beef mixture.
- Arrange tomato wedges, skin side up, on top.
- Simmer covered, 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
i liked this. The flavor was just what I had in mind. I did add 2 hanfuls of barley to the stew and of course that required extra water. The only thing I'll do next time is add some lima beans and corn to the stew.