Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is one of the favourite dishes in the region i live in. I got the recipe from a site with authentic dutch recipes: http://www.hollandsepot.dordt.nl/index.htm There is actually another ingredient in the original recipe, it's called ontbijtkoek and it's used to thicken the stew instead of using cornflour.
- Brown the onions and the flour in the butter in a saucepan.
- Add stock gradually, stirring all the time. Add bay leaves and cloves and simmer for five minutes with the lid on the pan.
- Add the vinegar and the diced meat.
- Simmer for another hour.
- Mix the cornflour with a little water. Add this to the stew to thicken the sauce. Simmer for five minutes, stirring continuously.
- Make it to taste with a little pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes and red cabbage with this dish.