Recipe by Adopted Parisian
This is wonderful for these cool fall and winter nights. After a long day, you will come home to a hot and hearty meal!
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package whole kernel corn
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In crockpot combine chicken broth, beans, undrained tomatoes, corn, carrot, onion, undrained chili peppers, bouillon granules, chili powder, and garlic. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours.
- At end of 10 hours, make dumplings: In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper. In a small mixing bowl combine egg white, milk, and oil. Add to flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined.
- Drop dumpling mixture into 6 mounds atop the bubbling stew. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. (Do not lift lid while dumplings are cooking.).