Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This savory easy to make crock pot soup is light enough even for summer. You can use any white beans such as White Kidney beans or Great Northern.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth or 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup converted rice
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- finely shredded parmesan cheese
- In a 3-1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker combine broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, garlic, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cover; cook on low setting for 5 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Stir spinach into soup; serve with Parmesan cheese.
Outstanding! I set it on high and it was actually ready in 2 hrs. I put the kale in 10 min before serving.
This is a nice, simple dish. I put in two cans of beans, and left the juice in them, and substituted Couscous for the rice, since it's what I had, and put in 4 more oz. of spinach. Very good. I think next time I might put in a bit of sugar, to balance the garlic and salty chicken stock. Oh, I just realized I forgot the PARM! Well, drat. :)