Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This tastes similar to a French Onion Soup!
Top Review by SReiff
Yum. What a great way to prepare onions as a side dish! Made the house smell SO GOOD! Tastes just like French onion soup. Because I prefer sweet onions and didn't have them on hand, I added a small amount of brown sugar to the broth for extra sweetness. Otherwise prepared just as posted! Thanks for a keeper recipe.
- 4 medium yellow onions, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2⁄3 cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 3⁄4 cup grated swiss cheese or 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Brush the tops of the onions with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the broth and soy sauce.
- Remove onions from oven; pour the beef broth mixture on top and around the baked onions.
- Return to oven and bake another 45 minutes basting about every 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the sage and grated cheese over the onions; return to oven to about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.