Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here's a great recipe for baked beans! Simple to cook, goes with many other recipes, and it's big on taste. I haven't done so, but I'm sure it would work in the crock pot. This is great for pot-lucks. This goes great with coleslaw and some roasted corn on the cob.
- 1 cup dried navy beans (or other small beans)
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 tablespoon oil (your choice)
- 2 small sweet pickles, chopped
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, mashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Wash and pick over beans. Place them in a large saucepan and cover with the water. Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add bay leaf, garlic, onion and parsley to the beans. Bring to a boil again. Cover loosely and simmer for 45 minutes, or until beans are just tender. Note: the times will vary with the type of bean you choose. Drain, if necessary. Put beans in 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Meanwhile, saute celery in the oil for about 5 minutes. Add pickles, tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir mixture into beans. Cover. Bake at 250° for 2 hours. Uncover. Sprinkle with the cheese. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes longer.
Yay, my hubby loved this. Honestly not what I was expecting. Was thinking normal baked beans this was almost like a chili. Going to had red pepper next time.