Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe was found online. Feel free to add in other vegetable of your choosing.
- 1 lb day-old white bread
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 lb asparagus
- 4 ounces mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan or casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the bread into 3/4-inch cubes and put all of the cubes in a large bowl.
- In medium bowl, whish together the milk, broth, eggs, salt, pepper, and dill until combined. Pour the mixture over the bread.
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus and cut the spears into 1-inch pieces. Add them to the bread along with the mushrooms and shallots.
- Fold everything together well to combine the ingredients. Spoon them into the prepared pan and pat down the top to compact the ingredients. Sprinkle the cheese evenly ever the top.
- Bake the pudding for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned and crisp and there is no liquid in the center. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into portions.
This was very good. The only changes I made were to add a teaspoon chopped garlic and to use fresh dill. Great for an unseasonably cool summer night dinner.
Wow is this delicious! For the bread, I used leftover Millet Loaf which is high in protein - so this was a vegetarian dinner! YUM! I substituted yellow squash for the mushrooms. I can't wait to try this with sourdough as a side dish, or add some cubed chicken for an entree. Great recipe!