Recipe by twissis
This recipe from "Hands-Off Cooking: Low-Supervision, High-Flavor Meals for Busy People" by Ann Martin Rolke certainly lives up to her book title w/its easy prep. While sure to be good on all occasions, it was suggested to accompany your Easter baked him as a side-dish & alternative to the usual sweet potatoes. I would add baked apples + a salad of choice & be proud of such a meal, all easily made ahead & nuked to serve. *Enjoy* !
Top Review by Chef Kate
This is a delicious pudding. I used a marble sourdough rye which was quite stale, and vegetable broth and skim milk (less fat--hurrah!). I substituted fresh chives for the dried dill (the only thing I didn't have on hand), used gruyere and skipped the optional olives. I think next time, I will increase the asparagus (or other green vegetable--I bet broccoli would be good too) and the shallots. This is really easy to throw togther and looks quite nice with its crispy brown top. Thanks, Sis!
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (1 lb size, or other crusty bread)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 lb fresh asparagus (cut in 1-in pieces)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup shallot (thinly sliced)
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese (shredded, or Swiss cheese, 4 oz = roughly 1 cup)
- 4 ounces black olives (optional add, pitted & sliced, see note after prep)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F & spray a 9x13-in baking dish or casserole w/non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut bread into 3/4-in slices by stacking 4-5 slices & then cutting them into 3/4-in cubes. Repeat w/remaining bread & put cubes in a lrg bowl.
- In med bowl, whisk together the milk, broth, eggs, salt, pepper + dill till combined & pour over bread cubes.
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus & cut the spears into 1-in pieces. Add them to the bread along w/the mushrooms, shallots & olives (if using).
- Fold everything together well to combine the ingredients, spoon into the prepared pan, pat down the top to compact the ingredients & sprinkle the cheese evenly ever the top.
- Bake for 45 min or till the top is browned & crisp & there is no liquid in the center. Allow to sit for 10 min b4 cutting into portions.
- Ann's STRESS SAVER TIP: Look for frozen asparagus tips & bags of unseasoned bread cubes to save prep time.
- Ann's EYE APPEAL TIP: Instead of mushrooms (or as a simple addition), add 1 cup sliced pitted black olives for color contrast & a flavor complement to the asparagus (I included this in the recipe as an opt add).