Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
From Southern Living.
- 1 lb unpeeled large shrimp
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 2 tablespoons seafood cocktail sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup fresh lump crabmeat, drained and picked over
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 16 ounces bow tie pasta, cooked
- Peel shrimp, reserving shells; devein shrimp and chill.
- Add reserved shrimp shells and 1 cup water to a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes.
- Pour stock through a wire-mesh sieve into a measuring cup; discard shells.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; add in garlic; stir/saute 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in shrimp stock and half-and-half until smooth.
- ADd in wine, clam juice, and the next 4 ingredients.
- Cook, whisking constantly for 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in shrimp, 3/4 cup parmesan cheese and the next 3 ingredients.
- Combine sauce and pasta, tossing to coat.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the parmesan.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.