1 hr 32 mins
In 'Bon Appetit Ya'll' by Virginia Willis
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into lardons (or 2 T. canola oil)
- 1 onion, chopped (preferably Vidalia)
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs catfish fillets, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Line a plate with paper towels; in a saucepan, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, about 5 minutes; using slotted spoon, remove the bacon to prepared plate to drain.
- 2Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.
- 3Add in onion and potatoes to saucepan; cook/stir often, until golden, 5-7 minutes.
- 4Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to coat and combine.
- 5Stir in the water and milk; add the thyme, bay leaf, and cajun seasoning; bring to a boil over high heat.
- 6Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- 7Add in the catfish; simmer, uncovered, until the fish is falling apart, an additional 15-20 minutes.
- 8Remove the thyme and bay leaf; discard.
- 9Add in the parsley; stir to combine.
- 10Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning.
- 11Ladle into warm bowls and garnish with reserved bacon.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savannah River Catfish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (553 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.7
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 147.5 mg
- Sodium 415.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 48.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: