Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups white rice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- hot sauce (I add 3-4 dashes)
- In a saucepan, sauté onion, celery, and bell pepper in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender, stir frequently.
- Add in undrained tomatoes, uncooked rice, water, sugar, salt, pepper, and hot sauce; stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil; lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer rice mixture to a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for around 1 hour or until rice is tender.