Prep 1 hr
Cook 47 mins
The best with garden fresh tomatoes.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 2 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup diced provolone cheese
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Bake the pie shell at 350° for approximately 7 minutes or until slightly browned; remove from oven and set aside.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip each slice in the flour to coat lightly on both sides.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; Add the tomato slics (in batches) and cook about 1 minute on each side; transfer to a plate (I line the plate with paper towels).
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet; add in the onions; saute 2-3 minutes; transfer onions with a slotted spoon to another plate or bowl.
- Layer the tomatoes on the bottom of the pie shell.
- Evenly spread the onions over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with oregano and provolone cheese.
- In an mixing bowl, add the half-and-half and eggs; beat well.
- Pour into the pie shell.
- Sprinkle evenly with Swiss cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes; may need to cover pie crust edges with foil to keep from getting too brown.