Recipe by mightyro_cooking4u
This is from THE LADY AND SONS, TOO cookbook by Paula Deen.This is really simple and does not take very long. I like to add other seafood and fish to make it even more hearty or just because I'm a meat lover. Some times I'll add corn kernals or mini cob on the cob.Serve over rice (a SC favorite) or pasta.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 2 cups sliced smoked sausage
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cut okra
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon file powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5 quart pot combine the flour and butter and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the roux has a brown to a light chocolate color.
- Add the onion, pepper, and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage, chicken, broth, tomatoes, okra, thyme, bay leaves, and cayenne, and simmer over low heat for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Add the file powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Serve the gumbo over rice. For an extra special pot of gumbo, throw in some peeled before adding the file.