1/1 Photo of Savannah Gumbo - Paula Deen
1 hr 10 mins
This is from THE LADY AND SONS, TOO cookbook by Paula Deen.This is really simple and does not take very long. I like to add other seafood and fish to make it even more hearty or just because I'm a meat lover. Some times I'll add corn kernals or mini cob on the cob.Serve over rice (a SC favorite) or pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 2 cups sliced smoked sausage
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cut okra
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon file powder
- salt and pepper
- 1In a 5 quart pot combine the flour and butter and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the roux has a brown to a light chocolate color.
- 2Add the onion, pepper, and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- 3Add the sausage, chicken, broth, tomatoes, okra, thyme, bay leaves, and cayenne, and simmer over low heat for 45 to 50 minutes.
- 4Add the file powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- 6Serve the gumbo over rice. For an extra special pot of gumbo, throw in some peeled before adding the file.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savannah Gumbo - Paula Deen
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.1
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 43.2 mg
- Sodium 362.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 15.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: