Recipe by AlainaF
Savannah's Hibernian Society has been keeping St. Patrick's Day since 1812, and long practice has made their celebration one of the South's most notable.
- 1 (4 -5 lb) corned beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into wedges
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, scraped and cut into julienne strips
- 4 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 -4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Place brisket in a large Dutch oven; cover with water.
- Add spices. Bring to a boil and cover; reduce heat, and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until brisket is tender.
- Add cabbage; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and onions; cover and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove brisket to a warm platter; slice thinly across the grain.
- Remove vegetables from the liquid, discarding spices; place on platter with sliced brisket.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.