Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is oh so goeey and yummy! It is easy to make and no one will ever suspect that you didn't slave all day. This is courtesy of Paula Deen, Television Food Network, 2003.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Hot Fudge Sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) bar German chocolate
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or 8 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream the brown sugar with the shortening in an electric mixer.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla then the melted chocolate.
- With the mixer running, add eggs, 1 at a time.
- Sift the flour with baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture and beat for 2 minutes.
- Butter and flour a 13x9x2-inch rectangular cake pan.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pan and bake until the cake is springy and a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly, about 40 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes the turn it out onto a rack to finish cooling.
- Melt the German chocolate with the butter in a saucepan over very low heat.
- Stir in the powdered sugar, alternating with the evaporated milk and blending well.
- Stirring constantly, brin the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer until the sauce becomes thick and creamy, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Serve slices of cake topped with warm fudge sauce.
- Grab a cold glass of milk and enjoy!
Rich, chocolate, and delicious! This is a decadent dessert. You must serve cold ice cream to go with this... it really makes this a special treat! Followed the recipe exactly with fantastic reviews from everyone.