Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
I just saw this on Paula Deen and can't wait to make it! (Might have to get the ingredients the next grocery trip..hehehe) They looked delicious. NOTE: Any of the leftover chocolate sauce can be put into custard cups, refrigerated and served as pudding!
Top Review by Raquel Grinnell
I am baking my second batch right now and just HAD to comment on how yummy these cookies are! I cheated and took an easy way out--SOLO makes canned almond cake and pastry filling (12.5 oz. can) and I used 3/4 can of that instead of the paste mixture. I also bought the pre-made Baker's Dipping Chocolate that just has to be microwaved. Most of the cookies have Xmas sprinkles on them and are delicious; I'm sure the chocolate dipped ones will be even better!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1⁄2 cup almond paste
- 1 egg yolk, white reserved
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 egg white, reserved one
- sugar, for sprinkling
CHOCOLATE DIPPING SAUCE
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 (1 1/2 ounce) milk chocolate candy bars
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Let pastry stand at room temperature for 20 min or until easy to roll. Unfold pastry on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll into a 14" square.
- Cut square in half, use a fluted pastry wheel if you have one.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Crumble almond paste in a small mixing bowl.
- Add egg yolk, brown sugar, and milk; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well mixed.
- Spread filling over 1 puff pastry half. (Filling will be very stiff. To make spreading easier, drop dollops of filling uniformly over pastry. Spray a piece of waxed paper with non-stick spray. Press almond paste evenly over entire pastry. Spray paper as often as needed to prevent sticking).
- Place remaining pastry half on top of filling.
- Cut dough into 14 - 1" wide strips, then cut the strips in half to make 28 pieces.
- Twist each piece twice, to form like a bow tie.
- Place twists about 2" apart on cookie sheets covered in foil or parchment paper.
- Brush twists with slightly beaten egg white. Sprinkle with sugar - coarse if available.
- Bake for 12-15 minute or until golden brown.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool. Serve with Dipping Sauce.
- DIPPING SAUCE:.
- In a saucepan stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Crumble candy bars in 1 at a time.
- Gradually stir in cream, and cook over medium heat until chocolate is melted.
- Temper egg yolk with 1/2 cup of hot sauce; add back to pot, and cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and pour into a serving bowl.