Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a modified version of a recipe in Family Circle Magazine. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of pine nuts. I don't care for them so I used a can of cannellini beans instead. I also added a little more cheese than the original recipe.
- 9 ounces fettuccine
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb zucchini (shredded)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (drained)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- Cook the fettuccine according to the package directions, drain and place in a large serving bowl.
- Heat 2 tbs. of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add garlic and zucchini to hot oil and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir zucchini into pasta along with beans,lemon juice and remaining olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with parmesan.
Loved this simple dish. I doubled everything and used whole wheat yolkless egg noodles. I used a veggie peeler to cut the zucchini into ribbons. I didn't saute the zucchini since I don't have a large pan. I tossed them in the water with the pasta the last few moments of cooking. I did put the beans, garlic, oil, and lemon juice in a pan and simmered gently while the pasta cooked. I think next time I will saute some onion and add it to the mix as it seemed like it needed just a little something else. Great recipe tho, and I'll be making it again as the kids LOVED it. Thanks for posting.
Very simple, yet very tasty! With the beans, I found using a short pasta worked better for getting a forkful of all the ingredients. Leaving the peel on the zucchini makes for a nice visual. I've been adding toasted cantaloupe seeds, since we usually have an abundance of melons at the same season as zucchini.
The original recipes also called for 1/2 C toasted pine nuts and only 2 oz of the Parmesan, though I prefer it with the extra cheese too. Try it with the pine nuts, add it in at the same time you add the zucchini.