Recipe by Ms. Low
This recipe was inspired by a vegetarian quesadilla that I had at a small Mexican restaurant near my home. I love making chicken flautas, and thought that sauteed veggies might be a nice change--and it was! Sauteed vegetables wrapped in a flaky flour tortilla?...MmMmmmm.
- 5 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned thin & short (1/4 x1 )
- 1⁄3 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced thin & quartered
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 large jalapeno cheddar flour tortillas (made by Mission)
- vegetable oil
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS or SIDES
- 1 avocado, sliced
- salsa verde (I use Pace brand)
- sour cream
- shortcut Mexican rice (Taco Rice by Lipton is a good instant Mexican rice. Add diced tomatos, if desired.)
- shortcut refried beans (buy in the can, cook in saucepan with MILK mixed in to desired consistency. Add diced green chilis, )
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mushrooms, pepper, onion, zucchini, garlic, oil, paprika, salt, & pepper in a deep skillet. Mix well, until all veggies are coated in oil. Cover and cook on Med/Low for about 20 minutes, or until veggies are mostly tender.
- Place a 1 ½” thick lines across the bottom area of tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Flip the flap below the veggies up on top of them, then roll closed. Push any loose veggies into the sides. Slightly flatten, to create “stability” when frying.
- Coat bottom of skillet with vegetable oil, at medium or med/high heat. Place 2 flautas at a time in the skillet, face down. Cook both until golden on both sides.
- Garnish with avocado, sour cream, and/or salsa. Compliment with rice & beans.