Slice the onion just before placing it on the grill. If given time to set, the onion rings will begin to separate and will not have good grill marks.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Arrange onion slices and bell peppers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray.
- Grill onions 12 minutes turning after 6 minutes, Grill bell peppers 12 minutes turning occasionally.
- Remove from grill, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Slice onion rings in half, and thinly slice bell peppers, discarding seeds, and stems.
- Combine onion, bell pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle fish evenly with remaining salt, and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with cooking spray.
- Add fish to pan, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork, or until desired degree of doneness.
- Warm tortilla according to package directions.
- Divide fish, onion mixture, and jalapeno slices evenly among tortillas.
- Serve with lime wedges.
WOW! You got a "5-plus Star review" from hubby on this one! (I rarely get that myself). Unfortunately, due to shellfish/seafood allergies, I could not actually try it, so I relied upon him to vote. He gave it "5-plus". I do have to admit... there were the tiniest of alterations. I had pre-chopped green bell peppers and onions in the freezer from our last fall harvest. And we just got 10" of snow today/tonight. Hubby just got home from plowing (3:30 a.m.). He was hungry and I wasn't about to go outside in a blizzard to grill the veggies. I sauteed all the veggies (including the jalepeno) in a pan with oil until softened and put on a paper plate, then added the Tilapia and fried about 2 minutes per side. I flaked it with a fork in the pan and added back the veggie for about 1 more minute. I only had flour tortillas in the house, (because the family only likes corn tortillas when we have tacos). Basically, the same ingredients (except for the torts), just cooked a little differently. Either way... it was a hit with hubby! He said not to change a single thing about the recipe. (I wish I would have told him that I invented it!)
Thanks for a great (keeper) recipe.
Made for "Please Review My Recipe" tag game - Spring 2013.
(P.S. He did not want the lime, he said it was perfect without).
So easy and good! I never used the mini peppers before but really liked them with the onions. Thanks for sharing!