Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
My cousin gave me this recipe, she loves it.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley
- 1 pinch fresh rosemary
- 1 pinch fresh sage
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup tamari or 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 4 ounces tempeh
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb oyster mushroom
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- Place first eight ingredients in a large stock pot.
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for two hours.
- Strain the stock and discard the waste.
- Combine 3-1/2 cups of the stock with the tamari or soy sauce.
- Bring the stock to a simmer and steam the tempeh in the stock for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tempeh and allow to cool.
- Slice the tempeh into thin long strips and dust it in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and tempeh and saute until tempeh is golden and the mushrooms are well cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the pan.
- Keep the pan hot and add 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and the lemon juice, then add the mustard and chives.
- Simmer, uncovered, for one minute.
- Put the tempeh and mushrooms in a serving dish and cover with the lemon-mustard sauce.
- Serve immediately.