1/2 Photos of Sauteed Spinach and Fava Beans
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. This is an Italian side dish, despite the use of a bouquet garni, which is French. I've changed the instructions to use canned fava beans. Vegetables and starch in one healthy, quick, low-fat recipe. From Vegetarian Times Cooks Mediterranean. I have not tried this yet. Update: Tried this with 15 ounces spinach as per Toni's suggestion. It was quite good - BF liked it too. After 30 minutes the water in the beans will be just about completely evaporated or absorbed. My only suggestion is to add a bit of water with the spinach, and cook longer than 1 minute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can fava beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- bouquet garni (available in some markets or combine 3 sprigs parsley, 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, 1 sprig fresh thyme)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 10 ounces prewashed ready-to-eat spinach
- 1/8 lemons (optional) or 1/8 lime wedge (optional)
- roasted red pepper (optional)
- 1/8 tomato, wedge (optional)
- 4 olives (optional)
- 1Place beans in medium pot. Add water to cover beans and bring to boil. Add bouquet garni and cover, leaving lid slightly ajar.
- 2Simmer 30 minutes. Drain beans and discard bouquet garni.
- 3Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until it turns golden, about 5 minutes (important - do not let garlic burn). Remove garlic with slotted spoon and set aside.
- 4Add cayenne and then stir in spinach, cover and let cook about 1 minute, until wilted. Season with salt.
- 5Mound spinach onto large serving plate, top with beans and sprinkle with browned garlic. Add garnishes if desired.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauteed Spinach and Fava Beans
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.5
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 470.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 13.7 g