Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
Wonderful sandwiches that we have with tomato soup. You can substitute the raw with precooked large shrimp but you'll give up some of the yummy garlic flavor. Good after work meal.
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked large shrimp, peeled,deveined and tails removed
- 4 soft sandwich buns or 4 hot dog buns
- 1 avocado, halved,pitted,sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cabbage
- Mix together the sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the hot pepper sauce; set aside.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until butter is melted; remove 1 tablespoon of the mixture from the skillet to a bowl and set aside.
- Add garlic and pepper flakes to skillet; cook until garlic is soft, about 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add shrimp and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring constantly, until just pink, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat broiler to high; brush rolls with reserved oil and butter mixture; place open rolls under broiler and broil until just beginning to brown, about 1 minute.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of the sour cream mixture inside each roll; layer with 1 tablespoon chopped cabbage, shrimp and avocado slices; top each with 1 teaspoon more sour cream mixture.
- Place remaining sauce in a bowl to pass at the table.
Wow! This was great! I was looking for a great soup and sandwich combo and found this recipe to go with Quick Homemade Tomato Soup #12438 and dinner was just fabulous! The only thing that I did differently was to use olive oil spray instead of the butter/olive oil mixture to toast the buns, otherwise followed the directions to a "T". I'll be making this one regularly. Thanks so much for posting!
These are so good and so easy! Great for a sandwich night supper. We had these with fruit salad and chips. Thanks for sharing!