Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My family loves scallops and I like using sea scallops because they are generally more available and less expensive than the smaller bay scallops. A simple test for freshness, a very mild, sweet scent and a translucent, almost white color.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet.
- Season flour with salt and pepper and toss sliced scallops in it.
- Drop scallops in hot oil and sauté very quickly until golden about 4 minutes.
- Remove scallops to serving platter with slotted spoon.
- Sauté shallots in same oil 5-6 minutes.
- DO NOT BROWN.
- Remove shallots and sprinkle them over scallops.
- KEEP WARM.
- Pour over excess oil from pan, add white wine and stir over high heat until wine is reduced by half.
- Pour over scallops and sprinkle on herbs and serve while hot with lemon wedges.