Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cabbage is one of my favorite veggies, so I am always looking for good recipes for cabbage, this is a really great one, and all ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste. This can also be made using green cabbage. I have even added a heaping tablespoon of garlic in with the onions. If you do not have any bacon fat handy, then use all oil, or oil with a few tablespoons of butter. Please, use only Granny Smith apples for this recipe, they hold up better than any other kind. This is a delicious side dish for beef!
- 1 medium red cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (can use more if desired)
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- salt and black pepper
- 2 medium onions, coarsley chopped
- 1 bay leaf (option but good to use)
- 2 -3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄3 cup beef stock
- 4 apples, peeled and julienned
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons apple butter (or to taste) or 1⁄4 cup applesauce (or to taste)
- Cut cabbage into quarters, then coarsely shred.
- In a large frypan, heat oil and bacon fat (or butter if using).
- Add in onions, and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add in shredded cabbage, brown sugar, vinegar, bay leaf (if using) and stock; simmer uncovered for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cover the pan and cook for about another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until cabbage is desired tenderness.
- Stir in apples and apple butter or apple sauce.
Hey, I've just gotta say...anything with bacon fat has GOT to be good! this recipe is no exception. However, I did NOT follow directions very well.I only cooked it for the initial 20 minutes because it was cooked enough for me at that point. I stirred in the apples & applesauce, gave it another minute & served. YUM! Thanks, Kitz!