1 hr 10 mins
Cabbage is one of my favorite veggies, so I am always looking for good recipes for cabbage, this is a really great one, and all ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste. This can also be made using green cabbage. I have even added a heaping tablespoon of garlic in with the onions. If you do not have any bacon fat handy, then use all oil, or oil with a few tablespoons of butter. Please, use only Granny Smith apples for this recipe, they hold up better than any other kind. This is a delicious side dish for beef!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium red cabbage
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (can use more if desired)
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- salt and black pepper
- 2 medium onions, coarsley chopped
- 1 bay leaf (option but good to use)
- 2 -3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/3 cup beef stock
- 4 apples, peeled and julienned
- 1/4 cup apple butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons apple butter (or to taste) or 1/4 cup applesauce (or to taste)
- 1Cut cabbage into quarters, then coarsely shred.
- 2In a large frypan, heat oil and bacon fat (or butter if using).
- 3Add in onions, and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- 4Add in shredded cabbage, brown sugar, vinegar, bay leaf (if using) and stock; simmer uncovered for about 20-25 minutes.
- 5Cover the pan and cook for about another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until cabbage is desired tenderness.
- 6Stir in apples and apple butter or apple sauce.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauteed Red Cabbage With Apples
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.4
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 134.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 47.3 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: