Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the Early Girl Eatery in Asheville, N.C. courtesy of $40 a Day with Rachael Ray, this is fabulous!
- 1 large green tomato, cored
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of, minced
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 rainbow trout fillets
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450* F.
- Put the tomato and lemon juice in a food processor (or blender) and puree it. Transfer tomato puree to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat, bringing it just to a low boil.
- Add the celery, lemon zest, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and water. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce is thick, like a marinara sauce. Remove from the heat and gently mix in the blackberries. Add salt, to taste.
- Lightly flour both sides of the trout and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add enough olive oil to sear the trout. When the oil is hot, add the trout and sear on both sides just until brown.
- Place the skillet in the oven and continue cooking until the fish is flaky, about 10 minutes. Top with the sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Great fish! We really enjoyed this fish dish which is a nice change from our usual! The changes I made was using a red tomato instead of a green one and also using Splenda (same amount) for the sugar -- no one could tell I didn't use real sugar! Made for Zaar Tag. Thanks for sharing this keeper!