Recipe by Sharon123
From the Early Girl Eatery in Asheville, N.C. courtesy of $40 a Day with Rachael Ray, this is fabulous!
Top Review by ellie_
Great fish! We really enjoyed this fish dish which is a nice change from our usual! The changes I made was using a red tomato instead of a green one and also using Splenda (same amount) for the sugar -- no one could tell I didn't use real sugar! Made for Zaar Tag. Thanks for sharing this keeper!
- 1 large green tomato, cored
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of, minced
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 rainbow trout fillets
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450* F.
- Put the tomato and lemon juice in a food processor (or blender) and puree it. Transfer tomato puree to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat, bringing it just to a low boil.
- Add the celery, lemon zest, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and water. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce is thick, like a marinara sauce. Remove from the heat and gently mix in the blackberries. Add salt, to taste.
- Lightly flour both sides of the trout and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add enough olive oil to sear the trout. When the oil is hot, add the trout and sear on both sides just until brown.
- Place the skillet in the oven and continue cooking until the fish is flaky, about 10 minutes. Top with the sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!