Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is wonderful! We used it as a side for steak and for chicken livers, but it can be used for sausages, chicken, pork, pasta and I could go on and on. Be creative and add mushrooms if you like. 11/01/06 update...we made this again and added the mushrooms and it was delicious!(1 lb of button mushrooms but am sure it will work beautifully with any type of mushrooms).
- 6 large yellow onions
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, julienned
- 2 yellow bell peppers, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb button mushroom, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Cut the onions in half and then slice into 1/8 " thick half-rounds (About 10 cups of onions).
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and mushrooms and saute for 15-20 minutes. Add the peppers, garlic, vinegar, tomato puree, pepper flakes, salt and pepper and continue cooking an additional 10 minutes.
Very nice! I didn't have yellow peppers, and used portobello instead of button mushrooms. Thanks for posting! Made for the Secret Ingredient game.