Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
A quick side dish that can be made with garlic scapes, green beans or a combo of the 2 veggies!
- 3 cups garlic scapes, 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Cover& cook scapes in a pot of boiling salted water until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Drain& chill under cold water, then drain well& pat dry.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; cook scapes, peppers& seasoning, stirring occasionally, until softened- about 4 minutes.
- Stir in almonds.
I've used garlic scapes raw for seasoning before, but never thought of cooking them like this. The flavor is quite mild, and the texture is a lot like green beans. I added a little soy sauce. A very nice dish.
I couldn't find a red pepper so I used yellow. I also didn't bother with the salt & pepper and the recipe still came out delicious. I only had a cup of scapes because I didn't know if I would like them, and the recipe is easily adapted. I'm running back to the farmer's market to get more while they're still available! Nice idea to to toast the almonds and add them at the very end.