Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The fennel is sliced thin and sauteed in olive oil with chopped leeks, then finished with fresh lemon zest and a pat of butter. Goes well with braised meats. And I thought I didn't like fennel.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, top removed cored and sliced thinly
- 1 large leek, tough greens removed cleaned and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4.92 ml lemon zest
- 14.79 ml butter
- Heat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat; add fennel and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add leeks, season with salt and pepper, cook 5 minutes more,.
- Stir in lemon zest and butter, adjust seasonings, serve.
Quick, easy, simple and delicious! Easy recipe that brings out the sweet and delicate licorice flavor of the fennel. If you have not tried or think you don't like fennel, I suggest you try fennel. It is a lovely vegetable that I think is neglected here in the Midwest. I dislike licorice but the first time I tried fennel, well it was love at first bite!! Next time I'll sprinkle a few fronds on top before severing. Made for team Soup-A-Stars during ZWT9 2013