Escarole is a bitter green, I just love it. This is a good introduction if you never had it. The raisins sweeten it. The beans give it a nice richness. The vinegar cuts down the bitterness and the salty capers and anchovies makes for a dish with lots of flavor. The optional ingredients are for those that are not vegetarians. Do rinse the beans, anchovies and capers well to remove excess sodium.
- 1 bunch escarole
- 1 (15 ounce) canwhite cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon golden raisin
- 2 -4 anchovy fillets, soaked 10 minutes in (optional "omit to make vegetarian")
- water or milk, and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- grated cheese (optional "omit to make vegetarian")
- Discard or trim any tough outer leaves.
- Tear into bite sized pieces, wash and spin dry.
- Soak the raisins in 2 tbsp warm water until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Chop the anchovies into a paste.
- Heat the olive oil and saute the garlic until it turns pale brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add in beans, It's OK if they get mashed while stirring.
- Stir in the escarole until it wilts.
- Stir in all of the other ingredients and saute for about a minute.
- Serve hot topped with grated cheese.
Great Jersey recipe Rita~ I served this with some cheese raviolis. Fast, tasty, good home cooking. Thanks!
This recipe is fantastic! The beans make the dish creamy and the raisins add a little sweetness. I didn't have golden raisins so I used the regular ones and it turned out great. I also didn't have any capers and left out the anchioves. I will make this dish many times again!! Thanks!!!
Super! I just love bitter greens too, especially paired with white beans. I omitted the raisins because I'm not a big raisin fan but otherwise I made it just as instructed. I think the anchovies really add something special to the flavour so if you're a vegan you might replace them with some vegan worcheshire sauce. This is my new favourite "greens and beans" recipe! Thank you.